Robert Foxworth focuses his real estate practice on complex acquisitions and divestitures, contracting, leasing, and development, including permitting and environmental compliance, land control, and regulatory and development challenges. He has extensive experience providing strategic counsel to clients in general corporate transactions, as well as in negotiations with landlords and managers of all kinds, ranging from individual owners and large urban property owners to tower companies and other institutions, in environments from urban to rural. Robert is a member of the firm’s Real Estate + Development Group.
Robert handles the drafting, negotiation, due diligence and closing for complex commercial real estate transactions at various retail, commercial, and multi-use properties around the U.S. He provides practical guidance to clients of all sizes on all aspects of the transactional process, from initial negotiation to closing, through to operation of the property and exit.
Prior to joining Robinson+Cole, Robert gained significant leadership experience while working with corporate executives, both in practice of law and as member of management team of several businesses, including:
- Lead attorney for all leasing work in the New England region for a nationwide wireless services provider. His responsibilities included negotiation, documentation, due diligence, and permitting support.
- Lead real estate attorney for a major nationwide retail pharmacy chain client in negotiations for 300+ site acquisitions over an eight-year span. This work included participation in numerous development and disposition transactions. Responsibilities include negotiation, drafting, due diligence, title work, closing, and management of outside contractors in numerous development and disposition transactions.
- Extensive involvement in title and environmental due diligence review and vendor management.
Real Estate Portfolio Acquisition and Disposition
- Managed a team of 40 people conducting due diligence, closing negotiations and documentation for a $350 million mortgage portfolio disposition involving more than 4,000 loans. Developed a system to streamline document review and due diligence to meet the required deadlines while working with displaced bank employees. Problem loans were identified and isolated, allowing for renegotiated legal fees.
- Drafted and negotiated documents for $175 million purchase of 20 office parks in the Southeastern US for a major banking client.
- Drafted acquisition documents for various large hotel portfolios during rapid growth period for a national hotel chain client.